Sunday 8 September 2013

How to handle a Car Accident in Malaysia

My first car accident happened on Day Two of my driving lesson. Yup, second lesson and the second time I had ever driven in my life. I was 18 years old, and my overzealous instructor decided to make me drive and make a turn at a busy junction 5 minutes from my house. The last thing I remembered before proceeding to turn right was a white Volvo veering towards me at breakneck speed, and then, its attempts to brake, and me frantically trying to press on the pedal to avoid the Volvo. Suffice to say, I did not get out of the way in time, the side window was smashed into smithereens and the next thing I remembered was me checking my face in the rear view mirror to ensure my face was intact. So, thankfully, it wwas and miraculously I was ok except for a few scratches on my hand (and so was Mr Overzealous Instructor). Of course, Mr Overzealous Instructor fired me (or was it the other way around) and I proceeded to get another instructor and had less eventful lessons.  Insurance took care of the damages from the accident and apart from some mental trauma, there were no other consequences.

After that incident, I also had a number of minor accidents (eg. me driving into a car which was double parking, me driving into the house gate (err.. bad estimation of space).. but I wouldn't say that they were anything out of the ordinary for a typical learner driver. Where I was at fault, I remember getting an earful from my father who had to underwrite the losses and claims from persons who suffered at the hands of my less than perfect driving.. That was the extent of my pain and suffering from the car accidents that I had been involved in as a youth.

After embracing adulthood, the ball game changes altogether. The pain from car accidents just gets worse for an adult... A young person has the option to hide behind adults, and let them handle the real world stuff. A adult, unfortunately has to deal with all of it.

Recently, this lady (whom I shall not describe with any adjectives, lest the floodgates of unpleasantries be opened) knocked my car from behind at a junction and caused substantial damage to the rear part of the car. Thankfully, no kids were in the car - MG was already despatched to kindy and baby SE at the nanny's. So, I am writing this real world guide on how to handle car accidents in Klang Valley, with the hope that it may be of assistance to "adult accident newbies".

At the accident scene:

1. Take the number plate of other parties involved (in case they hit and run, you can do a search at JPJ to ascertain their identity)
2. If the parties are civil and do actually come down to talk to you (without yielding a parang/ cricket bat and hurling it in your direction), exchange numbers and get their insurance company.
3. Take photos of the damaged vehicles
4. Discuss whether you want to report the accident or settle without reporting. Note that you have 24 hours to report the accident. I would recommend that if the party in the wrong does not pay you the agreed sum within 24 hours, go and make the report, regardless of whether the other party agreed or otherwise. I have heard that some people promise to pay, but don't eventually pay, and the party suffering the loss has no recourse to the person at fault as the police report was not made within the time frame.

The reporting

In Klang Valley, you have to go to the police station in Petaling Street (for accidents in KL) and State PJ (for accidents in Selangor).
Whilst it is possible to make a report at any police station, there is really no point in doing so. I tried going to the nearest police station to make a report, and was told that I would have to go to Petaling Street anyways, right after I make a report there. It seemed like a complete waste of time, so just go directly to Petaling Street.

Make a police report
1. At the Jalan Bandar police station, take a number at the ground floor to make a report. :
2. While waiting for your turn, look up the extensive map on the well to get the proper road names for the report.Get ready your driving license and IC.:
3. When your turn comes, recount the incident to the policeman who will be typing in the report. :
4. He will thereafter assign your case to an investigation officer and direct you to meet the investigating officer. :
5. Meet the investigation officer who will look at your case and come up with the findings as to who was at fault (so try not to annoy him or get him on your side).:
6. The investigating officer will direct you to the next section where you should get a photo taken of the damaged car.:
7. Go back to the counter of the ground floor of the police station and apply for a copy of the report. :
8. The issuance of the report is likely to take 1-2 weeks (it can be instant if you are really fortunate). Findings (which you need for your insurance claim) will also be issued in 2 weeks. You will be given a phone number to call to check if the findings are ready at the appointed time :
9. You will need to pay nominal fees for the above. :


Claiming from the insurance company
In my case, the lady who knocked into me was legally at fault and as such I could claim from my insurance company (without having to forgo my No Claim Bonus). For my claim, I had to get the following ready
1. Police report:
2. Completed & signed claim form :
3. Copy of insured’s & driver’s NRIC :
4. Copy of insured’s & driver’s License :
5. Copy of RIMV Registration card:
6. Copy of policy insurance :
7. Scene of accident photographs :
8. Police report lodged by third party :
9. Copy of police finding on the accident :
10. Copy of the police sketch plan :
11. Copy of RIMV search on the particulars of the third party insurer who was at fault.
If you are sending the car to the insurer's panel workshop, pass the copy of the above documents to ths workshop. The painful wait then begins for the work on the car to start and complete..:
Contrary to what I have heard, my experience of dealing with the police was quite pleasant, and I found them pretty efficient. I know it's an adjective not commonly used to describe the Malaysian police, but I must say that the traffic police division definitely exceeded expectations. Fair, quick and most importantly bribe-free. No attempts whatsoever to solicit bribes at any point. Hopefully this will be a more characteristic of authorities in Malaysia moving forward :)!

15 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Matthew. Chanced upon your blog. My son, Lucas (5 y/o) attends TPS since last year.

    You made the right choice in sending your child there =)

    If you happened to stay near DU area, I would like to explore car pooling as I travel a fair bit for work as well. When I'm not travelling, I will be the one sending Lucas to school.

    Thanks and trusting your child will enjoy TPS.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, not sure why it goes into the wrong post. Meant to post to the one on kindy.

      Delete
  2. Very good tips that would come in handy in times to come.
    Thanks for the educational article.

    Regards,
    Alexander
    Car Park Barrier
    Car Park Barrier
    Car Park Barrier

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very educational article for car owners.
    As the old saying goes "Sediakan paying sebelum hujan."

    Jane
    IPTS Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sharing. I just got involve with one today. Ended up I pay RM 700. I need to weight my NCB premium as well. If the person decided to claim my insurance, I will need to pay more than RM 700 for my next premium.

    That's how I calculated it. What do you think?

    Regards,
    Alexander Ang
    www.massivewealthtosuccess.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog post about Whiplash Insurance. I am agreed with your story that whiplash is serious injury. claims

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malaysian authorities asserted that the pair had no known ties to terrorism and were not believed to be part of a plot, although in the absence of any direct evidence, it was not clear how authorities reached that conclusion. saps

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up.. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fond of your articles. Thanks for sharing them. Information in the posts give me some pieces of advice. I can solve difficulties by apply them. I think of your posts as soon as I'm in trouble. Your pieces of writing are awesome. https://www.eliaandponto.com/michigan-auto-accident-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! www.eliaandponto.com/how-to-file-a-michigan-auto-accident-claim/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. https://www.eliaandponto.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. www.eliaandponto.com/michigan-car-accident-lawyer/monthly-compensation/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. www.eliaandponto.com/michigan-car-accident-lawyer/michigan-no-fault-benefits/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Check it out here: Website

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. Top Factors That Affect Car Insurance Costs

    ReplyDelete